Wednesday 30 November 2011

Under Friendly Fire

Image Credit

Some days you start to wonder whose side you're on. As a stay at home mum it can be tough feeling like you're on your own all the time. It can feel like a long day, especially when you have young children. They go from one undesirable activity to the next without really stopping for breath. You can't wait until 5 o' clock when the reserve forces are due to turn up.

Sometimes, you're in for a long wait. They might show up hours late, or have been redrafted somewhere altogether. If they do show up they can be a bit of a disappointment. Yesterday I was feeling a bit under the weather, nothing much, just a cold. The children had been tetchy and I just wanted a bit of help. I couldn't wait for the husband to come home. In my head he would look after the kids, make the dinner and clear up, while I sat in a darkened room and rocked a bit.

When he did, he was grumpy, and I could see that help was out of the question. He immediately switched on the telly and put on Top Gear. Great. When I asked if he'd watch the children while I made the dinner, all I was greeted with was a huge sigh. I went and put on the dinner and five minutes later the children were all in the kitchen, trying to climb in the oven and play with the boiling pots. When I questioned him, I was accused of dumping the children on him as soon as he got home. Apparently, when he gets in I think I can swan off and have a rest. He didn't seem to notice the dinner I had made and cleared away, and the children I had juggled whilst doing it.

So am I expecting too much? I know it's hard working and then coming home and having no moment to rest. But when do SAHMs have time to rest? What about you, does the working partner help out when they get home or do they expect it to be done for them?

2 comments:

  1. Now I am going to risk the extreme jealousy of my mothers-in-arms...
    I have learned to shut up in public about how much my hubbie "does"...but today I clearly have a death-wish!!
    I am at home just now - though usually work f/t. But my hubbie (a high school Headteacher) has always done way more than I do - and done it better than I do it... He washes up after dinner, does ironing, tidies and cleans and hoovers, reads books to the wee ones...alright, until this August he didn't drive so I did all the ferrying of kids (5 of them). He is hopeless with technical things, so I fix wiring and put up shelves etc... We have evolved (over 22 years of togetherness) a division of labour and a way of being together...and it has been like that whether I have been working or not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - he sounds like a super soldier. Send him to us for testing and we will start out cloning procedure. We could build an elite force of super husbands to take over the world and the domestic tasks.

    ReplyDelete

Come on soldier! Tell us what you think.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...